header image

Thesis Reflection

Writing my thesis for this course has proven to be beyond difficult. With hardly any time last semester, I wasn’t able to write as frequently as I had hoped, let alone conjure any pliable thought that was worth jotting down. When my thoughts finally came together, and I had a semblance of an idea for my paper, I just kept writing. I wrote, and wrote, and wrote, but my thoughts weren’t as neatly organized as they should have been. So, I sought assistance from various sources, and the outline of my draft came into existence. A great place to start right? Sure, but with that came various insecurities in my writing and my literary voice. I lost the inspiration I had only tapped into when writing my paper.

Reading the comments from Bill, my insecurities worsened. His comments weren’t bad, but they weren’t what I had hoped they’d be. After all, what could I expect? I gave the paper the amount of time any person could when juggling a boatload of classes, a job, and various other extra-curricular activities. For the most part, I was satisfied with my work. Then, on Tuesday, after our discussion in class and reading my classmates’ work, I found a new sense of inspiration. I wanted to immediately sit at my computer and begin editing. Their comments weren’t any different from what Bill had been trying to drill into my mind all semester, but workshopping our papers gave me hope. I was inspired again.

That isn’t to say that I have a lot of work ahead of me. My biggest struggle in editing my paper is maintaining my paragraph structure throughout my writing. I have to remember the principles of the Uneven U and bear in my how I’d like to sound when writing. What is my voice? How can I get my voice to project beyond the words that present themselves on the paper? My group mates raised a great point regarding my introduction; I don’t need to dive right into my piece, but instead, I can work my way into it. I need a “hook”. While this seems fundamental, I think this can executed well with style, a skill I hope to develop throughout this process. Beyond the flaws of my paper, I have an outlying structure that can be further developed. However, development would not be able to take place without there being a skeleton to work with.

~ by Ravenn Haynes on February 5, 2018.

2 Responses to “Thesis Reflection”

1. Ravenn, if your paper is going to sound anything like this reflection, I feel like you’re going to be in a good place. Without a doubt, you do have a strong voice, and I’m sure you’ll find a way to make it come through in your paper! I’m glad that you’ve found your inspiration again. Sounds like you’re past the worst of it all now.

2. While I have only read the first four pages of your paper, Raven, I think you are headed in the right direction. I am glad last class’s workshop helped you to feel inspired again. I can’t wait to see the finished product. Good Luck!